Douglas County Tax Commissioner
Douglas County Tax Commissioner
Current Leadership Roles
- Douglas County Tax Commissioner (7 1/2 Years)
- Appointed by Governor Deal - Georgia Department of Driver Services Board (2011-2016)
- Board Member - Tax Commissioner Technology Council (TCTech) (2013-2016)
- Chairman (Legislative Committee) - Georgia Association of Tax Officials
- Secretary (Georgia Association of Tax Officials) (2015-2016)
- Georgia "Tax Commissioner of the Year" (2014)
Past Leadership Roles
- Chairman (Legislative Committee) - Georgia Association of Tax Officials (2014,2015,2016)
- Board Member (Tax Commissioner Technology Council of Georgia) (2013, 2014, 2015,2016)
- Chairman (Motor Vehicle Committee) - Georgia Association of Tax Officials (2013, 2014)
- Member (Legislative Committee) - Georgia Association of Tax Officials (2012, 2013)
- District Leader - Georgia Association of Tax Officials (GATO) (2014, 2015)
- Named by Governor Perdue to Georgia's Technology Assessment Steering Committee (2007).
- Served 3 terms as Chairman of Georgia’s Chief Information Officer Council (2005, 2006, 2007).
- Council was composed of 41 CIO’s and Technology Directors throughout state government.
- Served as Southeastern Chairman of the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators
(AAMVA), Information Technology Committee
- Chairman of the Information Technology Sub-Committee, during the creation of a new State Agency
(Department of Motor Vehicle Safety).
- Served on the AAMVA International Technology Standing Committee
- Served on the Advisory Board for Georgia's Digital Government Summit (2006, 2007, 2008).
- Served on the State of Georgia's Governance Council (2006, 2007)
- Served 2 years on Georgia Enterprise Information Technology Leaders Forum (2002, 2003)
- Served on the Georgia Traffic Records Coordinating Committee (2000-2001)
- Leadership role implementing Georgia's Registration and Titling System
(Used by Tax Commissioners in all 159 of Georgia’s counties)
- Served as the founding Chairman for the State of Georgia Sharepoint UserGroup.
- Awarded 2005 International “Best of the Web” – By Government Technology
(Government Internal Category)
- Commissioned as an Honorary Kentucky Colonel by Paul Patton, Governor of the State of Kentucky
- Chairman (Personnel Committee) - Ephesus Baptist Church
- Sunday School Teacher (25 years) - Ephesus Baptist Church
- Chief Information Officer/Technology Director - Georgia Department of Administrative Services.
- Agency Lead on a $1.2 billion state technology outsourcing initiative (2008)
-Technology Director - State of Georgia, Motor Vehicles. Implementation of 1st statewide
Vehicle Registration and Titling Information System (GRATIS)
- Consultant for Lojack Corporation. Implementation of Lojack within the State of Georgia.
- Assisted John Hopkins University with the development of the international standards for the
Commercial Vehicle Information Systems Network (CVISN)
- Participated in Georgia’s “Blueprint for Modernization” study with KPMG. The study assessed and
recommended changes for the State of Georgia, Department of Revenue.
- Implemented the Georgia’s Unified Network Interface (UNI) - 4th state in the nation to successfully
- Bachelor of Science, Computer Science, University of West Georgia
Family and Church Involvement
Todd has been married to Dorcas Cowan since 1986 and they have 4 children (Hannah, Paul, Daniel, and Rachel). Todd is a product of Douglas County schools and went on to graduate from the University of West Georgia with a Bachelors of Science degree in Computer Science. He is the son of Terry Cowan, and the late Jerry Cowan, of Douglasville. He has been a resident of Douglas County his entire life. Todd is also a member of Ephesus Baptist Church where he taught sunday school for 25 years.